Monday 11 January 2010

A Day of All Sorts!

Oh, what a day!

Recently, I have been frequenting Kepong a fair few times with my oven being de-commissioned and all. I have to say, these table top ovens are rarely accurate - with at least a 50 degree celsius difference, one time it went up to a 100 degree celsius difference, hence the need to get it repaired. Imagine my poor burnt breads. Ah, yes, my "aunty-ness" levels have just tripled over the number of weeks - with all these baking and cooking.

By the way, Kepong is one hell of a confusing place to be in. Fabulous road side stalls there but roads are hay wired, cars moving in all directions, lorries suddenly appearing. Ok - I may be exaggerating a wee bit. In any case, it's still a confusing place to drive in. But the place that beats Kepong is Selayang and Batu Caves. My girlfriend and I decided to give the Selayang Pasar Borong (Pasar Boring = Wholesale Market, for the Malay illiterrate) a visit and ended up somehow at the KL Pasar Borong. Don't ask me how, but after the number of U-turns and wrong roads, a lost sense of direction and a huge splitting headache at the end, we managed to get there. I pride myself on being quite road savy, but after this day, there are definitely some places where a GPRS would be useful especially since Malaysian road signs are either non-existent, inadequately worded or inappropriately located. It also doesn't help that most roads in that area are dotted with many potholes.

The KL Pasar Borong was interesting with all fresh fruits, vegetables and probably meat or seafood produce - everything sold in cartons and bulk. We arrived rather late, not being much of a morning person, so the meat or seafood section was already closed by then.

Also, note to self:- For any future visits to any pasar borong, it is a necessity to dress like an "aunty", maybe go dressed in track suit, huge baggy t-shirt and those big round geeky black glasses from my primary school years with my hair tied up in a bun. I have never ever had in my whole life altogether, so many men staring and whistling at me and my gf at the same time. All heads turned and worked stopped. It wasn't just the foreign men, but also the local men. We were there after all just to look at the food produce and not to be looked at. And we were not dressed in anything sexy : my usual t-shirt, shorts and slippers.

I really felt like I was on sale together with the vegetables.  It was quite uncomfortable and as we left, we made sure that we double locked the car. Better safe than sorry.

It was a day to remember, but not a day to be repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment